WE ARE BACK FROM THE COVID-19 SITUATION (briefly) THEN NOT.
The Sydney Trade Union Choir is one of the politically activist choirs in Sydney NSW Australia. Weekly practices are on most Tuesday nights on Zoom (for now) and hopefully later in Surry Hills from 6:05pm. We welcome prospective members. No audition required. Explore this site to see if we match your interests.
Our usual practice venue is in the Teachers Federation building at 23-33 Mary St Surry Hills.
Any planned changes to our practice timetable will be notified in this paragraph. Our first regular practice for 2021 was in March, briefly, then back to Zoom. Our practices had been suspended for a year due to the Covid-19 crisis.
Upcoming dates to plan for:
- We welcome invitations to sing
- 2021-03-28 Palm Sunday rally (jointly with Solidarity Choir)
- 2021-03-10 Sang Solidarity Forever at Jack Mundey State Funeral in the Sydney Town Hall
- 2020-03-07 IWD with Unions NSW in Belmore Park
- 2020-03-01 Denis Kevans book launch at Gaelic Club
- 2020-01-19 Combined Union Concert at Illawarra Folk Festival
- See the History page to look further back in time
The choir was part of a project to tour East Timor in August/September of 2018. We are organising another trip to East Timor for the same commemoration in 2020 (or 2021 or 2022) – The Day Of Popular Consultation on the 30th of August (https://www.ausctimor2020.wixsite.com/home).
Be prepared to work on the following songs:
- Anthem (Refugee words)
- Bread and Roses
- Bring Out The Banners
- Bugger The Bankers
- Change the Rules
- Don’t Be Too Polite
- Four Strong Women
- Green Weapons
- Hammer Song
- How I Long For Peace
- I Ain’t Afraid
- If It Weren’t for the Union
- Joe Hill
- Ke Arona
- Let There Be Peace
- Peace Round
- Power in a Union
- Refuge to a Refugee
- Solidarity Forever
- Stand Together
- Tolpuddle Man
- Took the Children Away
- Union Maid (Sally McManus version)
- We Are Building A Strong Union
- We Shall Not Give up the Fight
- What’s That I Hear
- You Gotta Go Down and Join the Union
We have an email group in Google Groups. Details to follow.